Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

Discord community?

Aaron_La

Name
Aaron La
iRacing ID
He everyone,
You guys seem to have popular a very well run league here. Congrats.

I am really puzzled though as no one here uses discord to build up the interpersonal, sort of instant back-and-forth banter inducing, friendship creating platform that is Discord.
I'm a part of a couple other leagues, and I find the when people use it, it really get people talking and connected on a personal level much much faster. This forum is very well organized, but using this medium for interactive communication is limited. It is kind like emailing someone back and forth rather that whatapp/etc.

This comment is just constructive criticism and I really respect that everyone has created here.

Darklol

League Owner
Staff member
Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Hi Aaron !

There's positives and negatives from both instant chat platforms and a forum.

Some issues with instant chat apps like Discord is managing comments and with the amount of members we have it can get ugly pretty quickly. It's also really easy to jump on discord and start complaining or insulting someone else when drama occurs on track. The other thing with Discord is its free for anyone to create servers so basically pretty much everyone has their little private server with their close racing friends. We do have a Discord you can feel free to chat there and the community will reply but all official communications are through the forum.

We really appreciate your input, we have and are still looking on how we can use more Discord as well as the forum. Also you can install the forum as an app if you own an android phone and it is really well designed/optomized to work on any iOS device.

Aaron_La

Name
Aaron La
iRacing ID
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

You guys know better than me what it would mean in term of moderation (you know your "clientele") for discord.
I just find it too bad. Like you were saying though, I'm sure there are some people who have setup discord servers for their sub-groups.
I do find that this could lead to cliques that new comers are not aware of. Personally I have no connection to anyone here, and this is my second season. Yes, this could be my fault.
Maybe I'm just forum averse, especially compared to discord as I see first hand the convenience and appeal, especially as it's common app that lots of leagues use.
Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, I'm not sure if you've ever run a poll or anything though.

Thanks again. Just my 2 cents

Darklol

League Owner
Staff member
Name
Marco Oliveira
iRacing ID
Always good to exchange and try to get the feedback to improve our league.

One thing with many leagues is they don't have the automated process that we implemented with the forum. They mostly all run google forms and then someone needs to gather the information then create the registered drivers list etc... We were previously doing this but our goal is to automate the process as much as we can. Which is why when you signup with through the forum you get automatically added to the series group you joined. For this reason, we don't want to have too many systems where drivers need to look the information or for the process. Which is why our main focus is our forums. We previously were using Discord mainly for the communications aspect but we decided to use the in-game voice chat since not everyone was joining Discord for the races and it would also mean organizers needed to validate everyone was in the channel etc...

Maybe we should use Discord to direct people to certain forum posts, maybe when there's new important Stewards decisions that could affect someone race participations like race bans, start from pits etc... or for any announcements like the signups when they open etc.. We will look on how we can improve the usage of discord as we are trying to do with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Really appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to reply.

DespicableBeast

Name
Quoc Ninh
iRacing ID
This might be far fetched or unrealistic to have due to the high level of competition among drivers and teams… but maybe y’all could set up a channel for people who wants to voluntarily help improve the skill sets of other drivers in the league. This could create a friendlier community but still have a high level of respect and competition for one another.

There’s a lot of days where I go into a session, practice on my own, and have no clue on what I’m doing wrong to improve my driving. You could have a practice channel for drivers to just hop in to hangout and practice with each other. This can build better relationships.

Laughlin

Manager
Staff member
Name
Nick McLaughlin
iRacing ID
This might be far fetched or unrealistic to have due to the high level of competition among drivers and teams… but maybe y’all could set up a channel for people who wants to voluntarily help improve the skill sets of other drivers in the league. This could create a friendlier community but still have a high level of respect and competition for one another.

There’s a lot of days where I go into a session, practice on my own, and have no clue on what I’m doing wrong to improve my driving. You could have a practice channel for drivers to just hop in to hangout and practice with each other. This can build better relationships.
There are practice channels that are setup on discord and anyone is welcome to hop in and practice together :)
That part is easy! Join the server here; https://discord.gg/Zeux8ak

Just gotta pursuade your driver of choice into loaning their time to practice with.
Thats the harder part lol

Last edited: