Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Crash on lap 47

John War

Premium Member
NASCAR Truck Series 2022/S2
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
My sincere apologies to all that were caught in the crash that I started but especially # 97, Jake Blackhall. I was on the high side and I was told by my spotter I was clear inside so I made the move and obviously Jake was there so again I do apologize to Jake and anyone else that might have been involved..

Hootius

Director
Staff member
NASCAR Cup Series 2022/S2
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Appreciate the apology to the league Joao, but in all seriousness, did you have a human spotter, the iRacing spotter, or a CC/spotter app you were using? To be honest when I reviewed the replay, I didn't see you clear at all.

Also personally, I saw that you had interest in the practice sessions as well which is great, let's also talk pit strategy as you are practicing your lines. You staying out like that last night would have killed any chance at a Top 15 finish as you would have lost the pack staying out that late.

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
I was using the iRacing spotter and had just said inside clear. I was very very careful throughout the race And just wanted to finish the event regardless of what position.
My pit strategy since I was upfront in a large drafting pack, I decided that since I wasn't counting on top 10 anyway I tried and put as much distance as I could from second place which I succeeded since I was almost 46 seconds ahead, which would probably give me a chance to quickly get a splash and go and come back probably in a decent spot.

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
Furthermore I always try to be as fair and careful not to cause any accidents sometimes to my own detriment, because obviously being too cautious slows you down.
Again I apologize for that incident definitely not something that I wanted to do.

Bradley Holly

Organizer
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Bradley Holly
iRacing ID
have you looked in to downloading some of the spotter packs that are out there i always felt that he iracing spotter didnt do enough sometimes and do you have your relitive up when you are on track?

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
Yes I've been looking into get a spotter pack but they are a few out there and wasn't sure which one would be the most reliable.
If you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Coming from someone with your talent and experience obviously I would definitely consider it.
And absolutely I always have my relative on.
I'm still running on a single monitor planning to switch to an ultrawide monitor I think that would help to make the sides more visible since at this time I have to rely 100% on what the spotter tells me.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Crew Chief for me atleast has been very reliable

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
And even then, don't trust any spotter like the gospel. I recommend practice with others or with AI and how they look in your mirrors and bouncing your "look to the side" views. Between the data lag and communication lag, having blind faith in any spotter can lead to disaster.

Bradley Holly

Organizer
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Bradley Holly
iRacing ID
Yes I've been looking into get a spotter pack but they are a few out there and wasn't sure which one would be the most reliable.
If you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Coming from someone with your talent and experience obviously I would definitely consider it.
And absolutely I always have my relative on.
I'm still running on a single monitor planning to switch to an ultrawide monitor I think that would help to make the sides more visible since at this time I have to rely 100% on what the spotter tells me.
ya me and a few of the other guys can definitely help you find a spotter pack you like when we do the practice sessions ill be in the prl discord for those session and we can talk about all spotter backs that you can get. When you go to the ultra wide you will love it that is what i did last year and it make a world of a difference, i can tell you its worth the money

Bradley Holly

Organizer
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Bradley Holly
iRacing ID
And even then, don't trust any spotter like the gospel. I recommend practice with others or with AI and how they look in your mirrors and bouncing your "look to the side" views. Between the data lag and communication lag, having blind faith in any spotter can lead to disaster.
ya alot of times i hear the spotter but i also look at the relitive and the mirror once you learn where you are clear in the mirror if helps to be able to judge on if you will be clear or not. i hope this makes since i know im not the best with writing something out but again during the practice sessions we can talk about all that kind of stuff and if you ever have any question let me know or shoot me a message in discord

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
I appreciate all the suggestions I appreciate all the knowledge you're sharing

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
For me the biggest challenge is exactly not being able to clearly see what's happening beside me and having to rely on a game a spotter.
And so in between getting an ultra wide monitor and a reliable spotter pack hopefully that should be enough

Bradley Holly

Organizer
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Bradley Holly
iRacing ID
another thing you can look at is your fov in car and in your mirror

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
I tried to play with the FOV I just don't like the feel of being too far back.
Maria view Mary is adjusted as well as I can.
But I think in the end on the super speedways with so many cars enclosed proximity three wide sometimes four wide last thing I want to do is take my eyes from in front of me.
And so maybe with the ultra-wide monitor I'll have a better peripheral awareness.

Hootius

Director
Staff member
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Name
Charles Sumner
iRacing ID
Even an ultra wide is going to give you blindspots towards the quarter panels of your truck. Honestly it's going to come down to building the skill of using what you can with your mirrors and your relative and the general feel of the situation. Then ultimately if it's too close, then it's best to play on the side of safety.

DEvans51

Premium Member
Name
Jeff Evans
iRacing ID
Big fan of Crew Chief. You can edit the gap that the spotter considers "clear" so you can build a small buffer for data lag. There's also a ton of other features that Crew Chief provides to help make some aspects of the race a bit easier (voice commands, auto-editing fuel amount for pitstops, etc.)

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
Big fan of Crew Chief. You can edit the gap that the spotter considers "clear" so you can build a small buffer for data lag. There's also a ton of other features that Crew Chief provides to help make some aspects of the race a bit easier (voice commands, auto-editing fuel amount for pitstops, etc.)
Thank you for the suggestion and coochie phase the one that I was more inclined to get.

Bradley Holly

Organizer
MX-5 Cup Series 2022/S2
Name
Bradley Holly
iRacing ID
ya for sure. i use racing sim apps for extra information also there are a tone of apps you can choose from to customize what information you want to have and help you while you are on track

Kemosobie03

Premium Member
GT3 Sprint Series 2022/S2
Name
Patrick Cowgill
iRacing ID
I recommend adding 2 side monitors over an ultra wide. You can get 2 regular monitors for around the same price and be able to see slightly more.
For FOV, you should not set it to what you feel is good, you should set it to what it should be. Having the proper FOV can make a big difference on hitting your marks properly. This website is an excellent site for getting the proper numbers and telling you what angle to set the side monitors if you choose to go with triple monitors. https://sampsoid.com/fov-calc/

John War

Premium Member
Name
Joao Guerra
iRacing ID
All right once again thanks for the voluntary sharing of information really appreciate
Hopefully those practice sessions will happen sooner than later