Precision Racing League

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site and signup to race in our different series but firstly make sure you head over to the "New Members Start Here" in the League Information section.

• 2022 Season 3 Signups are now open !

Hi Guest, Signups for Season 3 are currently open to all members!
    Please visit the new series forums for all the details or click here to sign up.

Please note that our GT3 Sprint Series is already full!

Brake Dragging

How do we (F3 Series) want to handle Brake Dragging?

• Permit Brake Dragging

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • File Protests for Brake Dragging

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Gentleman's Agreement to not use Brake Dragging

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tegatai

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
James R Carter
iRacing ID
@Formula 3 Series 2022/S2 There has been a lot of discussion in the iRacing Community around brake dragging (driving slowly, holding brake & weaving).
Some might say it is an exploit and should not be permitted. Others might say use exploits until iRacing fixes them.
What do you think?

AlexF

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Alex Fournier
iRacing ID
It’s already difficult with open practice to get open track.

It’s a exploit, ban it.

lhyleo

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Leo Leung
iRacing ID
normal weaving, braking should be fine, braking to 30kph and do brake dragging on open practice/qualifying session is dangerous to cars behind. Ban it.

Neil Alexander

Premium Member
GT3 Sprint Series 2022/S2
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Neil Alexander
iRacing ID
Heating your tires using your brakes is the way you do it in real life. This is not an exploit but rather a part of the simulation. It is more effective to drag your brakes and transfer the heat into your tires through the hub, upright, etc.. If you watch any race during a caution, you will see the drivers speeding up and then getting on the brakes to generate heat.

tegatai

Organizer
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
James R Carter
iRacing ID
Heating your tires using your brakes is the way you do it in real life. This is not an exploit but rather a part of the simulation. It is more effective to drag your brakes and transfer the heat into your tires through the hub, upright, etc.. If you watch any race during a caution, you will see the drivers speeding up and then getting on the brakes to generate heat.
Just to clarify, we're referring to the practice of driving very slowly while holding the brake pedal. At present this causes iRacing to increase the internal temps of the tires, without any impact to brakes. Some folks think this is unrealistic. Other folks are fed up with drivers deliberately running a very slow outlap in open qualifying and causing traffic problems. Some folks think unrealistic behavior is okay to exploit.

Laughlin

Organizer
GT4/TCR IMSA Series 2022/S2
GT4 IMSA Series 2022/S2
Ferrari Challenge Fixed 2022/S2
Name
Nick McLaughlin
iRacing ID
Yea, as James said, we've nothing against regular tyre and brake heating.
But I can't say I've ever seen real life drivers slow down to a crawl, and hold both pedals to the floor while yanking the car around erradically.
I don't claim to be a motorsports expert by any means though, so if I'm wrong I'd love a link to see this being done.

Edit: I was reading this comment over to myself and realized it might come off snarky, was not my intentions. I was genuinely curious lol.

Last edited:

SuperHawk

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Michael Overbay
iRacing ID
Also you need to do it in the corner because iRacing will DQ you otherwise… this is a exploit.
Unfortunately in open qualy you don't get scrutiny, so people literally could do it for the whole lap and not worry about being DQ'd.

Hopefully it will either be banned or at least everyone just agree not to do it. It is very unrealistic. As in real life they do heat up brakes, but not by going 30-35kmh holding the throttle at 100% and the brake to keep it at that speed while weaving back and forth across the track . This exploit is not to heat up the brakes in iracing, it is to heat up the core temp of the tires for the extra grip.

SRidders

Premium Member
Formula 3 Series 2022/S2
Name
Steven Ridders
iRacing ID
It is unrealistic in another way other than no impact on the brakes. The tire pressures also do not increase relative to the increase in tire temps. This is where the lap times come from.

In my opinion, the tactic to heat up the tires by weaving and using your brakes is not in question here. What is in question is the lack of drawbacks doing so. Because you get all the benefits without the drawbacks it make it so unrealistic that it is almost arcade-like.

There is also the issue that to properly do brake dragging you need to weave at a very slow speed on a track that is already full of cars trying to set fast laps. Under the best of circumstances it can get dicey out there in quali. Adding cars doing 30 KPH weaving all over the place is asking for problems.