Skip navigation

Contract: Login Login / Search

Race 04: South Boston Speedway (28Apr15)

Practice @ 8pm, Qualifying @ 9:20pm, Race @ 9:30pm (EDT)

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE RESULTS, STANDINGS & RECORDS

Click here to see the iRacing Result Table

Pre-Race Interview

1. This is our first Oval race! What are your expectation for this race?
2. Do you prefer road race or oval race? What are the pros and cons of both of them?
3. We are approaching the midway of the season. How is going for you? Are you happy with the results you have reached?

Last edit: by jeromef1

Back to the top

Pre-race interview is up!
Back to the top

This should be a very interesting race.  Half of the reason I got iRacing was so I could do some oval, so I am looking forward to my first PRL oval race.

2. Do you prefer road race or oval race? What are the pros and cons of both of them?
I would probably say that I prefer road, but these are two different kinds of animals.  I like how you get more variety in road races, but I like how close the racing is in oval.

3. We are approaching the midway of the season. How is going for you? Are you happy with the results you have reached?
For the most part I am happy.  I am just mad that I made a silly mistake jumping the start in RD2.  However its much easier for people to make mistakes in iRacing because it is not very forgiving, so it should even out during the season.
Back to the top

I expect to be lapped multiple times.

Im starting to like ovals but I prefer road courses because you get to change gears and do a lot of racing against the clock.

Iracing is really really fun to me, I'm not the fastest but if someone messes up and have to pit to have their car repaired. U have a chance to get some points. In F1 a wreck resulted in Wing damage at best and the other thing that's just a death nail for me is the connection issues and dropped connections.
Back to the top

To keep it clean! I don't have a lot of experience in oval, so I plan to learn and to not really fight. I want to finish the race in the same lap than the leader!

They are both very different, but I prefer road race. I like the ovals, but I'm stick with the rookie licence because I always get wrecked by someone else when I race in that class. I will have to take some times soon in favor to increase my licence. Star Mazda takes me too much time! The driving style is very different in oval, and sometime, it means more technical.

To be honnest, I'm pretty disapointed, especially the last race where, I think, I had the pace to win. But according to my results, I get better race after race so I hope to keep it that way.
Back to the top

To just finish the race with destroying the car. Been a while since I ran the street stock at South Boston.

I prefer road races, because I get bored during oval races. The one thing I like about ovals, is there is more side-by-side racing. But it's easier to get caught up in somebody else's mistakes.

So far this season has been going better than I expected. I was surprised to get a win, followed by a second the next week. Last week was the worst so far, but I managed to pull back to a 5th place finish.

Back to the top

Unofficial practice session scheduled for 8:00pm eastern tonight.

Settings
80 min free practice
10 lone qualifier - 2 laps
100 laps or 30 minutes (whichever occurs first)
FYI: 100 18.00 sec laps = is exactly 30 minutes
Track record is 17 flat-ish so we should reach lap count first.

43 slots available for the public session.

I've enabled Realistic weather for this session.

Jerome, Nick, Max, PJ, and myself all have admin

Enjoy!

Back to the top

I can't join tonight because of RWC pre-season race. Can you please send me the result at the end in purpose of recruiting :). Have fun!!
Back to the top

jeromef1 said

I can't join tonight because of RWC pre-season race. Can you please send me the result at the end in purpose of recruiting :). Have fun!!

Sure thing.
Back to the top

I expect to do well and then blow it or D/C late :dry:2. Do you prefer road race or oval race? What are the pros and cons of both of them?
I like both.  I get pretty into doing setups for ovals.  That is one thing I will miss for this race.  Road racing can be a more introspective venture.  More often you are racing yourself and the track and clock.  Oval is more dynamic but the scenery is reduced.

I am here for fun.  I haven't even looked at standings.  I just like racing with you all.

Back to the top

what was pole last night?

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose"
-Dale Earnhardt
Back to the top

Back to the top

different weather though

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose"
-Dale Earnhardt
Back to the top

Back to the top

Race Recap

Didn’t think I was going to make this one, as we had last minute dinner plans, but I did end up getting home and in the session with 7 minutes to go in Practice.  My first thought about this track was that it was actually bigger than I thought it was going to be….. yes bigger.  Put it this way – there are smaller ovals to come in season two and beyond!

Not sure I figured out the optimal line in my 7 practice minutes, and maybe not in qualifying either as I was starting 9th out of 11.  Fun to have a full 10 minutes of qualifying with everyone on track, rather than the 4 laps by myself from the official series and iRIS.

It looked like Jay (jackal78) elected to start from the pits, so Jerome and I filled out the back row.  When the pace car went in, I was able to lose Jerome after a couple of laps.  I was then in a group that included James High, Pierre P Melanson, & Sylvain (woolfman43).  I stuck with them, stayed patient, and made sure I didn’t brake too late and make any mistakes.  I started surprising myself because I slowly started moving up, passing them one at a time, and by lap 30, I had moved up to 6th.   Next ahead was Ross Birtch (Murker), and the gap was 2.8 seconds initially, but I surprised myself again by catching him reasonably quickly.  I was able to make a pass soon after I caught him to take 5th, though immediately afterward, he said something about not seeing my car, and I later found out that my girlfriend was sending her best friend funny videos of….. well, it would take too long to explain, but I’m sure that was the issue – sorry!

Chris Perez (bige3dalejr88) was next ahead, and I was closing on him too, but while the gap was still 3-4 seconds, we had the caution and pace car.  I really wasn’t sure if anyone would pit because I felt it would cost them too many places, and while there are different lines you can run here, I wouldn’t say passing is easy.  To my surprise, most of the field pitted, and I moved up to 2nd with only Max (ShadowGear) ahead.  After seeing others pit, I still elected to say out, in part because I didn’t really have any practice entering or exiting the pits, so I’d likely have messed it up! :).

With the pace car about to go in, the order was Max, me, James, Spencer (Milkromeda), and Spencer was the only one out of that group who had pitted.  I wondered if his fresh tires would be enough of an advantage to pass any or all of the cars ahead over the final ~8 minutes of the race.  I at least felt good that I had James between me and Spencer.  I hoped James would keep Spencer at bay for long enough for Spencer’s tires to go off a bit, and make passing me a bit more difficult.

As we got back underway, Max and I did separate ourselves from the rest of the group by a small amount, and I was able to focus on attacking Max instead of worrying about any threat from behind.  I actually felt that my tires were pretty good, and they didn’t feel particularly different on lap 75 than they did on lap 10, so I was hoping Max was suffering from more of a lack of grip than I was.  I can’t say there was any evidence of that, and while I was able to get a “Car Outside!” from my spotter a couple of times, it wasn’t for long enough for me to be any real threat.

It was soon time to forget about Max, because Spencer had quickly found a way past James, and was already looking for a way past me.  He got along side a couple of times and I'd managed to pull ahead again, but eventually, it was an easy enough move for him on fresher tires.  He was soon battling Max for the lead, and this actually helped give me some other opportunities, particularly once when Max got a bit sideways exiting a corner.  I couldn’t keep my car alongside though, and it was clear that opportunity had passed me by when Nicholas (nickthequick) caught me, pressured me, and soon managed to take the last podium spot from me with a nice pass that unfolded over a few laps.

Summary

While I was battling for 1st at one point, I’m still really happy with 4th.  From 9th to 4th is pretty satisfying, and I managed to gain 4 of those 5 positions with some good/clean passes on track.  My pace clearly improved as the race went on and I learned what lines resulted in better lap times.  The pace car and strategy options down the stretch made what was already a fun race for me, even more exciting.  I still feel like I made the right call by not pitting.  I was in 5th before the pace car came out, and I finished the race in 4th, so while I lost places to Spencer and Nicholas who had fresher tires, I actually gained one place in the big picture.

I really didn’t expect this oval to go as well as it did, and I still have doubts about some of the (even) smaller ovals going this well, but from what I saw, incredibly clean racing from everyone, and I think it’s amazing that the pace car only had to come out once (still not sure who caused it?).  I think this could easily have been a wreck fest, so pat on the back to all of us :).

Huge congrats to Spencer, who might have been looking at his second win in a row if not for a disconnect last week.

I am loving the iRBC so much.  Every race, regardless of result, has been super enjoyable.

I wasn’t kidding about this race undoing all the work my chiropractor/massage therapist had done earlier in the day.  This is the position my body has been in since the race finished.

Back to the top

Nice artwork Moogle  :lol:

-Dale Earnhardt
Back to the top

ShadowGear238 said

Thank you.

If you want to read my mind, use the gap in my skull to get in.

Also, this piece of art from my collection is on auction.  Bidding in this thread starts now, and we'll begin at $0.49
Back to the top

Race recap: I'm not sure how or why but my game closed while g ridding and by the the time I got back in the race had started. So i started in the pits and went down a lap immediately. I was tempted to just drop put but I hate dropping out a race I've started. So i went out and got behind everybody. 

I knew from practice the field would be lapping me over and over again. Because I didn't have the pace. I practice running up high but all week I was driving the Mazda not realizing we would be driving street stock. So i didn't run as well. 

I found the Oval races in street stick to be kind of boring but with the faster Nascar type vehicles it's a blast. I still enjoyed the race and think I finished in 9th or 10th. So i got points which is good considering I started in the pits.
Back to the top

moogleslam said

ShadowGear238 said

Thank you.

Also, this piece of art from my collection is on auction.  Bidding in this thread starts now, and we'll begin at $0.49

I give you 1$, but only if you send me a poster of it!
Back to the top

jeromef1 said

moogleslam said

ShadowGear238 said

Thank you.

I give you 1$, but only if you send me a poster of it!

The size is fixed, but send me the money and your address and it's yours if there's no more bids in the next 24 hours :)

I will even sign it so you know it's authentic!
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Join
Merchandise