Round 3: Silverstone Circuit - Grand Prix (June 29)

**Broadcasted** | MONDAY | Practice @ 6pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EDT)
Season start on June 15th and end on August 17th
AaronWebb85
Manager
United States of America
Full Name: Aaron Webb
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Aaron Webb

Round 3: Silverstone Circuit - Grand Prix (June 29)

Post by AaronWebb85 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 am

Race Time of day: 2020-06-27 12:00
Race Length: 45 minutes
Max Incidents: Drive through at 16x, DSQ at 24x
Max Fuel: 33% (approx 10 gal./38 liters)
Start: Rolling
Fast Repair: 1
0 x
PRL Manager and Steward
Career Stats
8 Wins, 53 Podiums, 15 Poles, 22 Fastest Laps
PS4 pCars Friday Series S1 Driver Champion
7 Time Team Champion

Ken Rodriguez
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Kenneth Rodriguez

Re: Round 3: Silverstone Circuit - Grand Prix (June 29)

Post by Ken Rodriguez » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:22 pm

Round 3 Silverstone Pre-Race Notes

Welcome to round 3 of the Precision Racing League Monday night Club Sport Series featuring the GT4 class of racing cars at the Silverstone circuit. Unlike Watkins Glen of last week, Silverstone presents its own very unique, and very different sets of challenges. For one thing, the track is FLAT!!! There are no high speed camber turns or sweepers for you to carelessly throw your car into and know that your car will stick. No siree, she is as flat as a skillet! That said, Silverstone seems to be a favorite of GT4 racers. The track, while it is large, suits these cars well over an entire run. There is ample opportunity for passing and close quarters battles which should produce some fantastic racing opportunities. 

Racing at Silverstone

The layout of the circuit provides ample room for racing. As we are all aware, the new iRacing tire model presents us with specific challenges at the start of the race on lap 1. The ability to wash up to the outside of a turn is very real and can produce off-tracks and incidents. The same can happen if you overcook it into a turn and lose control and spin. With this in mind, as we will always do week after week, we remind you that at the start of the race, you are expected to give each other room to race. There will be no pinning to the inside or outside of the racing surface to force someone to take a less than optimal line, etc. We require that you respect your fellow competitor regardless of skill level, race-craft or speed. And if nothing else, remember that you cannot win a race into the first turn, but you can certainly lose a race there. Be mindful, and courteous. Race HARD but FAIR.

The pit entrance on this version of Silverstone is located as you exit turn 16 at Luffield. Turn 16 is a tight right-handed almost hairpin type where you want to get a good run coming out from. When you are entering the pits, chances are you will be exiting turn 16 at a slower rate of speed than you would normally and it would be to your benefit and those behind you if you announce your intention to enter the pits. Likewise, exiting pit road deposits you onto the racing surface very near the racing line coming out of turn 1. When exiting pit lane, you are to remain to the right hand side of the track until it is safe to merge onto the racing line going into turn 2. Ensure that you are checking your "Relatives" black box as you exit the pits. And if you are out on track racing, please be mindful as you approach and exit turn 1 that you do not swing too wide and collect someone who may be exiting the pits.

A few really great overtaking opportunities exist at turn 7 (Stowe), turn 8 and as you enter turn 11 at Abbey. Again we remind you that the overtaking car has the responsibility of making a clean, no contact pass. And likewise if you are being passed for position, you are in no way to impede or block maneuver the passing vehicle. You are allowed only one move either to the inside or outside of the racing surface and DO NOT CHANGE LINES IN THE BRAKING ZONE.

Final Thoughts

So far this season is shaping up to be a spectacular one. We have a vast array of talent out on track at any given time from the super fast driver to the novice level driver. Regardless of your talent and abilities, we are racing as a community. And as a community, we respect each other. There is no tolerance for outlandish or aggressive behavior in this league so if that's you, I strongly encourage you to reconsider your mindset and change it. We desire to be an all-inclusive league that suits the sim racing needs of all its members. If you see someone struggling with driving, offer them some help and advice. This is what community league racing is all about.

And keep in mind that we are broadcasting 7 out of the 10 rounds this season. The broadcast links can be found here. Share these links with your friends and family members. Invite them to come out and cheer for you or their favorite paint scheme if nothing else. And let's keep in mind when on the broadcast, at any given time you may be the focal point of the announcer's attention and that is your time to shine. Don't ruin the opportunity. That is all. Best of luck to us all in round 3. 

Mark, David and Kenny  
4 x

ShadowNinjaPug
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Raymond Deux

Post by ShadowNinjaPug » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:45 pm

The image looks like the Historic layout.
1 x

barryf1fan
Rookie Member
United States of America
Full Name: Barry Cochrane
iRacing ID: Jon B Cochrane

Post by barryf1fan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:25 pm

ShadowNinjaPug wrote: The image looks like the Historic layout.
I was wondering... there should be Abbey, Farm, Village, The Loop & Aintree.  The 2011 layout, right?  I think it was about 2011... maybe a little before.
1 x

Mark Phile
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Mark Phile
iRacing ID: Mark Phile

Post by Mark Phile » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:40 pm

If the layout pic is wrong its on me, i didn’t notice it in the proof reading, sorry gang 🤷‍♂️. Just stick to the official practices and that will guarantee you are at the right spot come race day 😁
2 x
Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers...

Spinn
Premium Member
Canada
Full Name: Spencer Semkowich
iRacing ID: 366735

Post by Spinn » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:09 pm

So, anyone else completely struggling here? I normally can get within 2 seconds of the top runners, and here I'm having trouble getting within 5 seconds. It's so bad I can't even figure out where I'm losing time.

One nice aspect this week: since the official races 45 minutes that means I'm getting plenty of practice saving (or completely destroying) my tires!
1 x

ShadowNinjaPug
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Raymond Deux

Post by ShadowNinjaPug » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:57 am

5 seconds means you have plenty of opportunity to improve. Lot's of long straights on this track so try and improve corner exit speeds, maybe a little slower in and then on the gas sooner, at apex you should be 100% or near that, you will easily find 2 seconds, at least.
2 x

TheGreatC81
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: David Cristelli
iRacing ID: David Cristelli

Post by TheGreatC81 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Spinn wrote: So, anyone else completely struggling here?  I normally can get within 2 seconds of the top runners, and here I'm having trouble getting within 5 seconds.  It's so bad I can't even figure out where I'm losing time.

One nice aspect this week: since the official races 45 minutes that means I'm getting plenty of practice saving (or completely destroying) my tires!
Yup, I'm having the same problems. By the time I'm 10 laps in, the car just does not want to turn. The Porsches are going to eat us alive. If any of the faster BMW guys are having better luck, we'd certainly appreciate some tips. 
1 x

Spinn
Premium Member
Canada
Full Name: Spencer Semkowich
iRacing ID: 366735

Post by Spinn » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Well, I managed to find a second. Turns out the BMW hits the ABS a lot sooner than I thought it did. I was skidding into every corner taking longer to stop than I should. Managed to win my first GT4 race last night in the bottom split.

Still 3 seconds back, but better!

Like David says though, tires are gone real fast. (Although braking properly is making them last better)
2 x

barryf1fan
Rookie Member
United States of America

Post by barryf1fan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm

@Mark Phile hope this is the right spot to let you know... I am out for tonight - going to pick up my car 2 1/2 hours away from home and won't be home in time to race.  Will be back next week for sure.!!  Thanks!
1 x

Gary Schilling
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Gary Schilling
iRacing ID: Gary Schilling

Post by Gary Schilling » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:17 pm

I'm out for this one. Discovered 2 bad cables which were supposed to be here on Saturday. And still in transit.
Good luck everyone and have fun.
0 x

Magnan431
Rookie Member
Canada
Full Name: Philippe Magnan

Post by Magnan431 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Need to appologize to Kenny Rodriguez on lap 4 my spotter was sleeping and never let you enough space on this one !! Sorry !!
0 x

brettclutch
Rookie Member
United States of America
Full Name: Brett Barrett
iRacing ID: 418964

Post by brettclutch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:42 pm

Great Race!!! I decided to try the tire replace strategy due to an error of forgetting to disable them in the black box. In this case, it appears it does not pay off but it did make the race more exciting for me lol. A quick sorry to Jean-Marc Tremblay, on near last I thought you had overcooked the turn and I was going to sneak on in the inside, but you then shut the door on me hard which I didn't expect and we contacted.
0 x

SimracerMartin
Rookie Member
Austria
Full Name: Martin Potocnik
iRacing ID: 411778

Post by SimracerMartin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 am

I am so sorry for not showing up!
I fell asleep in my simulator and woke up sometime mid race. :/

@Series Admin. I am not going to take part in this series. I am sorry.
I hope you all have a nice ongoing season! :)
0 x

crich88848
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Christopher Richards
iRacing ID: Christopher Richards

Post by crich88848 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 am

Well, coming out after the pit stop my wheel starting acting up. It would upshift and downshift by itself, at times it wouldn't let me shift at all. Typical Fanatec problem with one of the pin connectors breaking off on the wheel. Spent the last 10 laps pushing the wheel forward as hard as I could to try and get the pin to maintain contact. Managed to finish the race, but coming out of the last turn before the finish line my wheel double upshifted to 4th gear and I lost a position.
0 x

jmtremblay27
Premium Member
Canada
Full Name: Jean-Marc Tremblay
iRacing ID: 228233

Post by jmtremblay27 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 am

Its ok Brett... for some reason 5 laps into the race I'm 3 to 4 seconds a lap slower and everyone around me is doing a better job managing their tires. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to race these cars in high track temps. Hopefully next round will be cooler.
0 x

barryf1fan
Rookie Member
United States of America

Post by barryf1fan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Missed racing with you guys on Monday night, but I went to get one of my "attainable" dream cars and wasn't gonna be back in time for the start (or the finish :lol: ).
I have a 2012 GTI and have always wanted a Golf :R.  Well, decided to pull the trigger on one and so far am digging it.

New ride:

Looking forward to MoSport already though.  Was hoping that Silverstone was broadcast so I could watch it...
4 x

Return to “GT4 Clubsport Series [2020/S3] - Sponsored by NinjaTrader & SimRacing Canada”