Race Time

**Broadcasted** | TUESDAY | Practice @ 6:20pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EDT)
Season start on September 17th and end on November 19th
madace
United States of America
Full Name: Michael A Diaz
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: 104967

Race Time

Post by madace » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:26 pm

If the league is following the official series schedule, in my opinion greater effort should be taken to try an align the start time with the official time. For example the season finale at Suzuka the official start time was around 5 p.m yet the league race started somewhere around 9 p.m, complete darkness at a track that has no official night "mode". Not only does this affect the drivers, it also affects the broadcast, being very hard to tell whats going on at times. So my proposed solution would be to set the practice start time earlier. E.g if the official start time is 6 p.m set the practice to start at 3 p.m, this would compensate for the 2h 40m practice session and the 15min qualifying and would more closely align the times.

This is purely my opinion, I'm not aware if the this is intended by the league although it does not seem to be.
0 x

jeromef1
Director
Canada
Full Name: Jerome Berthiaume
iRacing ID: Jérôme Berthiaume

Re: Race Time

Post by jeromef1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 am

We will look for this for 2019/S4. The reason why we are not the same as iRacing it's because sessions must be created in the new UI to get specific start time like official sessions. When I tried the new UI last year, it took me 10 min to plan a race because ot was very not intuitive and it was sooooo laggy. I have 50 sessions to plan, which means 500 minutes... So the decision was easy to go with planning on the website. Also, when I tried, it was not possible to plan the race for a specific league. And I think when you plan a race in the new UI, it's only show im the UI which means all drivers will have to take the new UI to join the session.

I will try again for this season the new UI, but if the management deam it's not ready yet, they we will still use the webpage to plan session.

Thanks!
0 x
PRL Director & Owner

FKNCommishLB
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: James LeBlond
iRacing ID: James LeBlond

Post by FKNCommishLB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 am

jeromef1 wrote: We will look for this for 2019/S4. The reason why we are not the same as iRacing it's because sessions must be created in the new UI to get specific start time like official sessions. When I tried the new UI last year, it took me 10 min to plan a race because ot was very not intuitive and it was sooooo laggy. I have 50 sessions to plan, which means 500 minutes... So the decision was easy to go with planning on the website. Also, when I tried, it was not possible to plan the race for a specific league. And I think when you plan a race in the new UI, it's only show im the UI which means all drivers will have to take the new UI to join the session.

I will try again for this season the new UI, but if the management deam it's not ready yet, they we will still use the webpage to plan session.

Thanks!

With respect, you dodged the question/point. Can you explain, to use a specific example, how this process you undergo results in a completely dark "Pay your light bill, Suzuka!" situation where we are several hours? Is it not as simple as saying "If an official race is late afternoon, I'll begin the entire session in the afternoon, so that by race time, it'll be late afternoon"?

Not trying to be difficult. I just don't know the logistics. Or is this a "Time to delegate and have some help by Admins" thing?
1 x

Gary Schilling
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Gary Schilling
iRacing ID: Gary Schilling

Post by Gary Schilling » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:19 am

That was total bs.
Got as much time on the track as I could @ Late Afternoon to Sunset.
Only to be screwed by it being a night race.
Only added 8 off tracks to my total :(
It's something that needs to be addressed in the future.
0 x

MrCaringi
Veteran Member
Venezuela
Full Name: Jean F Caringi
iRacing ID: JF Caringi

Post by MrCaringi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Totally agree: please try to prevent this issue, if it is in your hands.
Thanks in advance.
0 x

jeromef1
Director
Canada

Post by jeromef1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Guys, like I said, we will try to fix this this season and it's something we have received in the feedback form (thanks for it it's working). I am the only one to plan session because I get discount after a specific amount of sessions planned.

The way I've worked the session as for now is to take the race time of the official series and try to take the time of day that will fit better the start time. When you plan a session using the website, you can only select limited time of day choices. Beside the choice based on track, you get a region time. It is the start of the session. So based on that, I'm adding a 3 hours practice. Don't think I'm randomly selecting a time of day. There is analysis behind this.

I'm sorry if this has caused issue for you and it was not in our intention to get you mad. Note also that ALL drivers can see ALL sessions planned with the setting. Why does anyone raise a flag before?

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience and we are aware of the situation!
0 x
PRL Director & Owner

MrCaringi
Veteran Member
Venezuela
Full Name: Jean F Caringi
iRacing ID: JF Caringi

Post by MrCaringi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:30 pm

jeromef1 wrote: Guys, like I said, we will try to fix this this season and it's something we have received in the feedback form (thanks for it it's working). I am the only one to plan session because I get discount after a specific amount of sessions planned.

The way I've worked the session as for now is to take the race time of the official series and try to take the time of day that will fit better the start time. When you plan a session using the website, you can only select limited time of day choices. Beside the choice based on track, you get a region time. It is the start of the session. So based on that, I'm adding a 3 hours practice. Don't think I'm randomly selecting a time of day. There is analysis behind this.

I'm sorry if this has caused issue for you and it was not in our intention to get you mad. Note also that ALL drivers can see ALL sessions planned with the setting. Why does anyone raise a flag before?

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience and we are aware of the situation!
thanks Jerome and all PRL team for the support,
It is ok, and no need to take it to much seriously, the bright side is: this is the only real issue during the whole season!!!, PRL is doing a great work, obviously.

Be cool ;) 
1 x

jeromef1
Director
Canada

Post by jeromef1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:02 pm

Hey guys!

This morning we have tried the new UI to set session using iRacing specific race time. I was impressed by the latest update of the new UI. It is more stable then before and intuitive to setup a session. I need to open/close 3 times the UI until it works, but it finally got to work.

However, we have notice the following issue:

- Session planned in the new UI can't be delete or modify in the new UI
- If we edit a session created in the new UI using the website, we lost the specific race time
- We can't set admin in the new UI

First 2 points, are not really a concern, but last one yes :(

So due to the fact that we can't set admin for the sessions, we can't go ahead yet with this. Unless someone has a solution so we can set admin.

Why a manager or organiser who race in the series is not creating the session?

1. The manager or organiser may miss a race. This is why we usually set multiple admin in sessions
2. We get a discount after a certain amounts of session planned within a month. So this is why I am creating all the sessions (discount is quite low so it's not the main argument)

I'm glad though to see there is great evolution in the new UI!
2 x
PRL Director & Owner

madace
United States of America

Post by madace » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:20 am

jeromef1 wrote: Hey guys!

This morning we have tried the new UI to set session using iRacing specific race time. I was impressed by the latest update of the new UI. It is more stable then before and intuitive to setup a session. I need to open/close 3 times the UI until it works, but it finally got to work.

However, we have notice the following issue:

- Session planned in the new UI can't be delete or modify in the new UI
- If we edit a session created in the new UI using the website, we lost the specific race time
- We can't set admin in the new UI

First 2 points, are not really a concern, but last one yes :(

So due to the fact that we can't set admin for the sessions, we can't go ahead yet with this. Unless someone has a solution so we can set admin.

Why a manager or organiser who race in the series is not creating the session?

1. The manager or organiser may miss a race. This is why we usually set multiple admin in sessions
2. We get a discount after a certain amounts of session planned within a month. So this is why I am creating all the sessions (discount is quite low so it's not the main argument)

I'm glad though to see there is great evolution in the new UI!
I think as of now only way to add a different admin is by giving permission in the sim, as in once joined the host right click and make admin.
0 x

madace
United States of America

Post by madace » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:23 am

Is racing fixed sky an option? Speaking for myself I'd prefer to race in the same lighting, than practice for late afternoon and end up racing in complete darkness. (This isn't an issue at tracks with a proper night mode/skybox.)
0 x

jeromef1
Director
Canada

Post by jeromef1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:39 am

What I did when planning race for this season is to find the better start time as much as possible like I did last season. The exception is with race that start later than 6pm, when it happened, I selected afternoon instead of late afternoon. This will avoid racing in night on track that do not have light. Fortunately, we didn't have such race in the upcoming season.
0 x
PRL Director & Owner

DeamingPie
Organiser
United States of America
Full Name: Erik Captain DNF Luke
iRacing ID: Erik Luke2

Post by DeamingPie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:52 am

1. The cars have headlights
2. iRacing improved headlight viability, seeing is not an issue
3. GSRC did a broadcast in the radical, at Sebring, in the dark, zero issues (it also looked cool)
4. For the last (at least) 10 years every race has been in daylight on iRacing road series. Embrace the new challenge(s).
3 x
2019 stats - 48 race starts, 46 DNFs

"You've been racing with your foot on the brake? What are you, a Florida F*&^ing blue hair?" - Wife

Looking for a button box?
https://www.facebook.com/apexbuttonbox/

Gary Schilling
Organiser
United States of America

Post by Gary Schilling » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:09 pm

DeamingPie wrote: 1. The cars have headlights
3. GSRC did a broadcast in the radical, at Sebring, in the dark, zero issues (it also looked cool)
4. For the last (at least) 10 years every race has been in daylight on iRacing road series.  Embrace the new challenge(s).
New challenge ?
Suzuka Official race was done @  afternoon/late afternoon.
Everyone either practiced  or raced with that setting.
Then before qualifing could even start it was pitch black.
The time was posted in the forum.

But Lemans: 

Time of day: Late Afternoon
Practice: 7:49 PM (in-game time)
Qualifying: 10:29 PM (in-game time)
Race: 10:44 PM (in-game time)

Sebring has some lighting, Suzuka does also, but evidently iRacing does not have it setup for night racing.

Suzuka
Time of day: Afternoon
Practice: 5:28 PM (in-game time)
Qualifying: 8:08 PM (in-game time)
Race: 8:23 PM (in-game time)

Lemans still had some light for qualifing .
In theory , Suzuka should have not been dark before the race started.
1 x

DeamingPie
Organiser
United States of America

Post by DeamingPie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Gary Schilling wrote:
DeamingPie wrote: 1. The cars have headlights
4. For the last (at least) 10 years every race has been in daylight on iRacing road series.  Embrace the new challenge(s).
New challenge ?
Suzuka Official race was done @  afternoon/late afternoon.
Everyone either practiced  or raced with that setting.
Then before qualifing could even start it was pitch black.
The time was posted in the forum.

But Lemans: 

Time of day: Late Afternoon
Practice: 7:49 PM (in-game time)
Qualifying: 10:29 PM (in-game time)
Race: 10:44 PM (in-game time)

Sebring has some lighting, Suzuka does also, but evidently iRacing does not have it setup for night racing.

Suzuka
Time of day: Afternoon
Practice: 5:28 PM (in-game time)
Qualifying: 8:08 PM (in-game time)
Race: 8:23 PM (in-game time)

Lemans still had some light for qualifing .
In theory , Suzuka should have not been dark before the race started.

So what you are saying is you couldn't do the math to know that the race would begin in the dark so you could practice outside of the official races?  
0 x

"You've been racing with your foot on the brake? What are you, a Florida F*&^ing blue hair?" - Wife

Gary Schilling
Organiser
United States of America

Post by Gary Schilling » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:49 pm

It does not get dark in the summer until after 8:30
So again, qualifing should have been in the light.
0 x

DeamingPie
Organiser
United States of America

Post by DeamingPie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:06 pm

In Japan the sun sets around 6PM during the month of July.
0 x

Return to “GTE Sportscar Series [2019/S4] - Sponsored by SIMMSA & The ButtKicker”