Round 2: Autodromo José Carlos Pace - Grand Prix (Dec 5)

Practice @ 6pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EST) | FERRARI & FORD GTE
wings19
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Nick Harwood
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Nick Harwood

Re: Round 2: Autodromo José Carlos Pace - Grand Prix (Dec 5)

Post by wings19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

However, if you have driving skill - setup does make a difference and it can be substantial. .1's every lap makes a big difference in the length of a race.
0 x

Charles Huffstetler
United States of America
Full Name: Charles Huffstetler
iRacing ID: Charles Huffstetler

Post by Charles Huffstetler » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:03 am

I am a little disappointed on my driving in the race I blew it had found a setting that worked better for me but just did not put it together. I am not used to not having my lap meter on the top of screen. Did not know I used it as much as I do. Having the bar showing how much time I lose pre sector is a motivator. I messed up fuel mileage this race and had to a next to last lap pit stop and missed the check box for tires and had to sit in pit for 30 seconds then lost a spot mid lap on white flag lap. So I rate myself a 4 out of 10. Very clean racing no contacts think I had one off track. I do think a mistake on the brakes caused a spin behind me but I tried to be gentle. If I messed anyone up I am sorry I will get this car sorted out as we move on. This car has not been fun it does not allow me to drive my style for some reason and is super touchy on the brakes for me. I have custom pedal setup but corner entry and mid corner is my trouble spot. Seems the car is super sensitive to brake trailing into corner at least mine is. Very easy to spin and it slides the nose if I try to carry speed mid corner I am always waiting on the car before I can get power on. I am laying it down to skill level now as setups are little help. Once the tires get hot I start to compound the problems. Not used to having to struggle so much with a car but I will keep on trying good show everyone. Ben is wicked fast impressive is not a good enough word.
0 x

wings19
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Nick Harwood
iRacing ID: Nick Harwood

Post by wings19 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 am

Charles - I can relate to your feelings about the sensitive braking but once I learned to trail it properly I got much faster. Through telemetry analysis this biggest bit of advice I got was to "be smoother". The car isn't necessarily sensitive to trail braking, it's sensitive to pitch changes accompanied by lateral load. A braking spike can easily cause a spin through a corner. Conversely, a rapid throttle lift will induce understeer on exit. 
These were my initial problems - maybe you can relate, maybe not but I thought I'd share what I found.
0 x

SharkV
Manager
Canada
Full Name: Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID: Dany Duchesne

Post by SharkV » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:07 am

Hi

For those that have problems with tires changes and feul calculations, there is an app called iRacing pit crew.  You can find it on the iRacing forums under API.  Very useful app that will automatically calculate the amount of feul needed for each pit stop and managed others things too
0 x

Kenny Duval
Premium Member
United States of America
Full Name: Kenny Duval
iRacing ID: Kenny Duval

Post by Kenny Duval » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 pm

I think we got to the bottom of their fueling issue. I was doing the fuel calcs based on what I was showing in Motec and giving them the number. At some point it would appear I accidentally switched to fuel map 2 without noticing and was burning less fuel than they were running map 1.  It also explains my inability to draft at Road Atlanta. If didn't hurt so bad at Interlagos but was probably the cause of my corner exit weakness compared to the guys in front of me.
0 x

SharkV
Manager
Canada
Full Name: Dany Duchesne
iRacing ID: Dany Duchesne

Post by SharkV » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Enjoy!!!!!

1 x

Return to “American iRacing Tuesday Series [S11]”