Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Open Mic Lesson Learned by Erik Luke

Practice @ 6pm | Qualifying @ 9pm | Race @ 9:15pm (EST) | FERRARI & FORD GTE
User avatar
Kenny Duval
Premium Member
United States of America
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 pm
Full Name: Kenny Duval
Location: US,Georgia, Cumming
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Kenny Duval

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Kenny Duval » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 am

Man that felt like a win tonight. I was surprised to Q in second and even more surprised to not torpedo my efforts on my own during the race. Cristian sorry for the unfortunate incident with Kelly. I was watching the time gap and I know you were back there digging. He has been briefed on the proper procedure for odd car placement post crash. He'll be ejecting from now on. Based on Monday nights practice times it looked like it was going to be tight in the first 5 or 6 spots again. I was fully expecting to have mirrors full of angry drivers in the opening laps or be in someone's mirrors.

It would seem a couple of my teammates had a negative impact on each others race early on but both of them dug in a kept running. Eric again had a solid finish although not as far up the list as he would like to have been. Richie put in another clean run I believe as well. We have a lot of work to do before LeMans. 
1 x


Fmontini
Regular Member
Argentina
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:14 pm
Full Name: Francisco Montini
Location: Buenos Aires
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Francisco P Montini

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Fmontini » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 am

Great race last night. From the practices of Monday, it was felt that it was going to be a race at least entertaining in the 8 first places. A start in which I lost a couple of positions, try to push matthew the first laps but an error in the turn number 6 and end in a spin. Luckily the car did not break and I was able to catch up with Matthew again. We entered the pits together and we left even more together. I manage to pass it in turn 10 and then defend a couple of laps. Unfortunately the car went wild at the exit of turn 10 and I spilled on the last corner, miraculously the car did not touch the wall and I was able to finish the race. To highlight:
1st fight with Matthew ALL the race. Very clean.
2 ° the pace that Kenny took during all the tests, qualy and race. Congratulations!.-
3 ° shameful that a driver enters a race knowing that he can not have the car on the track, ruining the race of pilots who practiced for many hours because we take this seriously. While Kelly apologized that is not enough. When the car hits the wall the car starts to move backwards but instead of going forward it sets the reverse gear and blocks the inside of the curve.
This makes us consider continuing to compete in this league, which is super entertaining but this can not keep happening. If you are not in a position to start the race because you could not practice or you can not keep the car on the track you should not race. Nothing personal with Kelly.-
2 x
Image


User avatar
Kenny Duval
Premium Member
United States of America
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 pm
Full Name: Kenny Duval
Location: US,Georgia, Cumming
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Kenny Duval

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Kenny Duval » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

I'll take some responsibility for Kelly as there are several folks here that are all for WERA racers that have spent a great deal of time racing bikes in the real world. Charlie and I have been doing this for ever but Matt, Erik, Richie and Kelly are all new to it this year. Some have developed their skill sets faster than others but all of them put in practice almost everyday and we all practice together at least 3 to 4 nights before the events. I have described to Erik when he started at Spa that we were essentially throwing him into shark filled waters wearing a meat speedo. The pool at the pointy end of this thing is pretty deep with fast drivers. Kelly seems to be more akin to wearing a full meat tuxedo but he is working diligently. We will do our best to prevent any incidents in the last two rounds.
Last edited by Kenny Duval on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x


User avatar
Ozymandias
Organiser
Chile
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm
Full Name: Cristian Garreton Eissler
Location: Santiago, Chile
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: 226143

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:33 am

Kenny Duval wrote: I'll take some responsibility for Kelly as there are several folks here that are all for WERA racers that have spent a great deal of time racing bike in the real world. Charlie and I have been doing this for ever but Matt, Erik, Richie and Kelly are all new to it this year. Some have developed their skill sets faster than others but all of them put in practice almost everyday and we all practice together at least 3 to 4 nights before the events. I have described to Erik when he started at Spa that we were essentially throwing him into shark filled waters wearing a meat speedo. The pool at the pointy end of this thing is pretty deep with fast drivers. Kelly seems to be more akin to wearing a full meat tuxedo but he is working diligently. We will do our best to prevent any incidents in the last two rounds.
Thanks Kenny for taking responsibility, but I do not think it's necessary. We have all made mistakes on the track, but we must try to minimize them and not repeat them in time. Unfortunately, Kelly repeats the same mistakes race after race. Okay, he's starting and he should improve, but you should have the criteria to know that if you go 7 laps behind the leader, it's time to stop and go to the pits. Yesterday happened to me, but perfectly could happen to you and ruin your great 2nd place, or one of those who came behind me as Nick, Matthew or Francisco.


It seems to me that at least there should be a license restriction for future tournaments (D at least?). From what I saw Kelly is still Rookie and has NEVER run an official race of any series. GTE cars (IMSA series) are license B for a reason. There are other cars like the Mazda MX5 or Skip that are very good to learn and where you will run with people of similar skills.
0 x
GTE Sports Car Series Organizer
Please feel free to reach out with questions or comments. Se habla español!


User avatar
Kenny Duval
Premium Member
United States of America
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 pm
Full Name: Kenny Duval
Location: US,Georgia, Cumming
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Kenny Duval

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Kenny Duval » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

I'll take it though . Given the pace with which Matt, Richie and Erik went from signing up to racing I sort of expected the same short learning curve from Kelly having raced in real life. The adjustment to virtual racing for him seems to be taking a little longer.
0 x


Fmontini
Regular Member
Argentina
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:14 pm
Full Name: Francisco Montini
Location: Buenos Aires
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Francisco P Montini

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Fmontini » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Here the race onboard
1 x
Image


Fmontini
Regular Member
Argentina
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:14 pm
Full Name: Francisco Montini
Location: Buenos Aires
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Francisco P Montini

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Fmontini » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

and here the best parts of my battle with Matthew (TV CAM)
 
1 x
Image


Pittenger5
Regular Member
United States of America
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 am
Full Name: Richie Pittenger
Location: ATX, Texas
Main Platform: PC

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Pittenger5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Kenny Duval wrote: Richie put in another clean run I believe as well. 
Clean run for me. That has been my goal the past few rounds since I won't be competitive for the most part. I have a lot of work on the basics to do. Pit stop killed me this race. And I need to learn to chase better. I can hold people off behind me for a while, but once they pass, I have no chance of keeping up. 
2 x

User avatar
DeamingPie
Organiser
United States of America
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm
Full Name: Erik Captain DNF Luke
Location: Florida
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Erik Luke2

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by DeamingPie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
It seems to me that at least there should be a license restriction for future tournaments (D at least?). From what I saw Kelly is still Rookie and has NEVER run an official race of any series. GTE cars (IMSA series) are license B for a reason. There are other cars like the Mazda MX5 or Skip that are very good to learn and where you will run with people of similar skills.
While it is hard for me to argue against that, I'm glad there isn't a license restriction.  I wouldn't have been able to join until last weekend :cry: 
1 x
2019 stats - 48 race starts, 46 DNFs

"You've been racing with your foot on the brake? What are you, a Florida F*&^ing blue hair?" - Wife

Looking for a button box?
https://www.facebook.com/apexbuttonbox/


User avatar
Ozymandias
Organiser
Chile
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm
Full Name: Cristian Garreton Eissler
Location: Santiago, Chile
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: 226143

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm

DeamingPie wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
It seems to me that at least there should be a license restriction for future tournaments (D at least?). From what I saw Kelly is still Rookie and has NEVER run an official race of any series. GTE cars (IMSA series) are license B for a reason. There are other cars like the Mazda MX5 or Skip that are very good to learn and where you will run with people of similar skills.
While it is hard for me to argue against that, I'm glad there isn't a license restriction.  I wouldn't have been able to join until last weekend :cry: 
 I think level-up from rookie to D license is very easy, you can make it in less than 6 races, and that races are very useful to learn to drive safe. One of the keys of why iRacing is the best in online experience is the license system.
1 x
GTE Sports Car Series Organizer
Please feel free to reach out with questions or comments. Se habla español!


Carsten Quint
Premium Member
Canada
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 am
Full Name: Carsten Quint
Location: Canada, British Columbia, Parksville
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Carsten Quint

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Carsten Quint » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Having some sort of entry requirement might be a good thing, but this is the first time I've come across incidents like this in our league. I've been running 2 to 3 series every season in PRL for close to 3 years now. It definately sucks though when your night/season gets impacted like that. Hopefully we will see everyone back next season because its definately nice to have a good size field like we do.
2 x


User avatar
DeamingPie
Organiser
United States of America
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm
Full Name: Erik Captain DNF Luke
Location: Florida
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Erik Luke2

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by DeamingPie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
DeamingPie wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
It seems to me that at least there should be a license restriction for future tournaments (D at least?). From what I saw Kelly is still Rookie and has NEVER run an official race of any series. GTE cars (IMSA series) are license B for a reason. There are other cars like the Mazda MX5 or Skip that are very good to learn and where you will run with people of similar skills.
While it is hard for me to argue against that, I'm glad there isn't a license restriction.  I wouldn't have been able to join until last weekend :cry: 
 I think level-up from rookie to D license is very easy, you can make it in less than 6 races, and that races are very useful to learn to drive safe. One of the keys of why iRacing is the best in online experience is the license system.
I don't disagree.  What I was getting at is that my very first race on iRacing was in this league.  I had maybe 2 hours of drive time in the pasta making machine before I did FP1 for Spa with PRL.  I think the difference is I have been racing in Forza and Gran Turismo for ages.  While the level of realism and the simulation factor is different (and by different I mean better) in iRacing, the approach is no different.  
  
1 x
2019 stats - 48 race starts, 46 DNFs

"You've been racing with your foot on the brake? What are you, a Florida F*&^ing blue hair?" - Wife

Looking for a button box?
https://www.facebook.com/apexbuttonbox/


User avatar
Ozymandias
Organiser
Chile
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm
Full Name: Cristian Garreton Eissler
Location: Santiago, Chile
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: 226143

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Carsten Quint wrote: Having some sort of entry requirement might be a good thing, but this is the first time I've come across incidents like this in our league.  I've been running 2 to 3 series every season in PRL for close to 3 years now.  It definately sucks though when your night/season gets impacted like that.  Hopefully we will see everyone back next season because its definately nice to have a good size field like we do.
you are right, these things do not happen often in the league, one of the things that I liked the most about competing here
2 x
GTE Sports Car Series Organizer
Please feel free to reach out with questions or comments. Se habla español!


User avatar
SharkV
Manager
Canada
Posts: 1541
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:39 am
Full Name: Dany Duchesne
Location: Québec City, Qc, Canada
Main Platform: PC
iRacing ID: Dany Duchesne

Re: Round 10: Watkins Glen International - Boot (Feb 13)

Post by SharkV » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:03 pm

4 x


Locked

Return to “American iRacing Tuesday Series [S11]”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users